Friday, June 8, 2012


Day two:
Wow.  The morning started with 3 hours of cycling directly into 20-30mph headwinds.  That was not easy.  The first part of my day culminated in me sliding to a halt.  I got a little road rash, but no big deal.  I had an amazing chicken sandwich and assessed the damage to my bags.  There was some damage from when I went down, but i fixed it in about 10minutes later that night.  I then crossed Deception Pass and hit the 100mile mark for the trip…1/19th of the way there :-/  After a few issues with the WA rangers i had made some new friends from TX, they are hitch-hiking around the country.  It was bed time, sort of.  Due to the Whidbey Island Naval Base, doing super low level flights I didn't get any rest till about midnight. 

 Deception Pass!

 Beautiful marsh at gold-o-clock

 Camp at Fort Casey, WA

Day three i wasn't feeling very good.  I am fighting a cold.  Regardless I felt strong in the morning.  I headed towards Sequim and onto Port Angeles.  In Sequim I felt very weak and very sick.  At this point I made the official decision to only go to Port Angeles tonight.  I found a fantastic Hostel, The Toadlily Hostel.  Very friendly clean and comfy, all for $25.  I hope to meet up with Travis and Heather, two of my oldest and bestest friends from Seattle.  After a nap and a cup of warm soup from Safeway I am feeling a bit better, but still sluggish.  I did realize that my gears are all gummed up and that explains why my bike was riding better into the rain and wind than it was with a dry tailwind.  I am about 1 block from a bike shop where I will get some chain lube tomorrow.  For now I am people watching at Safeway and enjoying the nice views of the Olympics!  I can't believe i am already here!

Also I climbed nearly 2000feet today.

Coupeville Ferry

Here is a video compilation (soon I will download some music and make these better).



The pictures and videos do not show you the feeling of this ride.  It is hard and cold and beautiful.  They don't portray the stinging sensation that never goes away on your face, even when you are not riding.  Or how LOUD the trucks are on the highway.  Nor do they let you know how it smells.  The Northwest was my home for 6 years, I have many great memories from there.  It is crazy I can come over a hill and the wind will whip up, as it always does at the top of hills and i can smell my freshman year at UW, or the walkways to class, or the Burk, or the many kayaking trips and adventures I went on.  What the pictures will never show is the feeling of euphoria of arriving at your final stop for the day.  The sense of accomplishment and the feeling that this and each moment leading up to it has been a gift.  I know I am only three days into this ride, but I have realized quickly how lucky i am to be here.  Thank you all for being supportive and patient with me on my journey.  I'm headed your way :)

Lessons learned:
One cup of chowder, though delicious, is NOT enough fuel for a 54 mile ride. 
At least one hand on the handlebars at all times.
Washington is made of rain and hills and WIND!  This is uncommon.
It takes me less than 10 minutes to change a tire, even in the poring rain on the side of the 101.
WA is beautiful.  


No comments:

Post a Comment