Friday, June 22, 2012

California!


Day 12
Today was a difficult day.  I had to work for every mile.  Yesterday I got a little sunburned where my sleeve slid up, today I couldn't see 500 feet in front of me.  There was a slight headwind all day, except for the last ten miles.  According to the book I traveled past some of the finest beaches in OR, I couldn't or didn't see them.  I was either hyper-focused on the road due to bad conditions or obscured by fog.  The first 50 miles were full of rolling hills and small climbs, but the headwinds on the downhill and flat sections killed me.  I was actually climbing hill at a faster pace than going downhill or on the flats.  

I broke up the day into three ~25mile sections.  25 to Gold Beach, 29 to Brookings, 27 to Crescent City.  I was really tired in Brooking, but I had a salad and a wonderful cup of hot chocolate!  This plus the fact that I was a a mere 7 miles from CA was motivating.  After relaxing for a little while in the Beachcomber Cafe, I gathered my self, i jumped around, stretched, shook myself, rubbed my arms and eventually walked outside.  There was only one other table occupied by a family of three in the restaurant and I am sure they thought I was CRAAAAAZEEEEEE!  Shivering I hopped on my bike and hit the road.  The rain took a 10 minute break which helped me hit my stride for the last 27 miles.  


Quickly, I was at the border!  I snapped a picture and headed onward.  I arrived in Crescent City and took a warm shower and began the drying process.  I rewarded myself with one Sierra Nevada Pale Ale…CA beer ;)

I am a little bummed all the areas I have been today looked really nice and interesting, but I am just too cold to go out there and explore in this weather.  

I don't think it has sunk in that I am in California!  Maybe tomorrow.  I guess it is less of a big deal considering I am not even half way (will be tomorrow), but i have a lot of CA to cover…

Tomorrow, REDWOODS!!! 

This is my rain set-up.  Worked like a champ!

1 comment: