Monday, July 2, 2012

Days 19 and 20


Day19 and 20.
Two short days.  30 and 50 miles.  I am stopping to visit friends and I am getting my legs ready for tomorrows ride.  I have planned a 100miles through Big Sur, CA.  Thus, I will ride far and up many hills.  Leaving SF was interesting to say the least.  I felt like I was riding in circles and climbing hill after hill!  Once I got to the coast the road was terrible and crowded.  I am very glad i did this section in bad weather on a sunday evening, traffic was minimal and i appreciated that.  Leaving SF is something I will never forget.  I rode through some interesting parts f town, past a parade and up some monster hills.  

Day 20.

I woke up in my warm bed after a great night's sleep and a good meal.  I felt soft and weak like kitten after my break, but then after 3 cups of coffee and half a belgian waffle I ripped off my fuzzy pants, put on my offensively tight shorts and yelled, "BY THE POWER OF GREYSKULL!!!!

My whimpering bike turned into my faithful steed Battle Cat.  I mounted the beast and rode hard!  I averaged 18 miles per hour and made it to Santa Cruz, 50mies away, in 2 hours and 40 minutes.  I was HE-MAN!  More clothes, less muscles, but I felt strong!!!!

OK, now for the truth.  I did average 18mph, but I also had a 15mph tailwind.  :)  The tailwind made me feel like a super hero on my bike.  For some reason He-Man popped into my head.  I suppose I will never grow up.  I knew it was the wind and the relatively flat terrain allowing me to go fast, but that did not stop me from getting this video and song stuck in my head.  I may or may not have been singing aloud...


I met up with an old friend here and I am going to explore Santa Cruz for a bit.  The winds are shifting with the setting setting sun and changing landscape of Santa Cruz and Monterey.  To avoid over working myself I must get up early tomorrow and hit the road hard.  

No comments:

Post a Comment