Friday, July 6, 2012

Day 21 and 22 and 23


Day 21
Quite a change from yesterdays super hero like day.   According to my book it is 40 miles from Santa Cruz to Monterey.  What i failed to notice was that it is 40 miles from the campsite 16 miles PAST Santa Cruz.  So imagine my surprise when i hit the 40mile mark and was no where near Monterey.  I got a bit lost in the morning since I wasn't really on the suggested route at that point and I ended up bouncing between the FREEWAY and monster hills in suburbia.  There is a level of fatigue i try to avoid ever reaching when cycling, the repercussions of trying to recover after getting that tired are not good when you face 80miles/day.  I hit that redline burning feeling in my legs at least three times before 11am.   I was not off to a great start.  When i finally rolled into my lunch destination of Carmel I had clocked 65miles!  Laurel surprised me by taking Highway 1 home from San Fran, so we were able to get lunch together, it was really nice.  From Carmel it was another 25 miles to my destination in Big Sur.  Rounding the peninsula out of Monterey meant i got a monster tailwind!  Cruising at astronomical speeds climbing hills like i was made to do so, I was at my campsite in no time.  There was a bit of hiking and sightseeing followed by food and sleep.  
The morning was one of the most confusing and frustrating mornings I have had!  But once I found my zen-like state and put mile after mile behind me it turned out to be one of the most incredible days of riding I have had.  Monterey in the sunlight reminded me of Italy, along the Cinque Terre,   The coast from Monterey to Big Sur is my favorite 25 miles to date.  






Day 22
The next morning was about hills.  It was a relatively uneventful 4th of July.  Just hopped on my bike, in the fog and rode 4, 1000 foot hills, then cruised some flats past the elephant seals and Hurst Mansion.  In camp I met up with 7 other cyclists, the most I have seen in one place yet.  We talked, shared stories then watched the Cambria Fireworks show from our humble beach.  It was nice.  


Day 23

Yet another good day of riding.  It was misty and COLD in the morning.  I was wearing my rain gear to start the day.  In Morro Bay I crossed paths with three cyclist who were touring via credit card, this means, they carry about 8lbs of gear and ride really nice bikes.  I was able to keep pace with them and in no time at all we had crushed out 50miles.  With 30 miles to go they stopped in Pismo to enjoy the sand dunes and I kept rolling.  With the help of my three friends I was able to do 80miles today and average 16mph.  I arrived in Santa Maria where I stayed with a friends mom.  She has been an AMAZING host!  I am well fed and well rested for my big ride tomorrow.  I have an 90 mile day planned…but as always we will see how it goes.  
















No comments:

Post a Comment